Showing Properties the Safe Way
- When you are showing an empty property, you can take these simple steps to empower yourself against attack or theft.
- Using a Supra lock box is the safest, most secure way to allow other agents to show properties. They record access to the boxes and are near indestructible, so keys don't fall into the wrong hands.
- Show properties before dark. If you are going to be working after hours, use the buddy system, take your spouse/significant other or a friend. If you must show a property after dark, turn on all lights as you go through, and don't lower any shades or draw curtains or blinds.
- Try and call the office once an hour to let people know where you are.
- If you think it may be some time before a property sells (and you may, therefore, be showing it often), get acquainted with a few of the immediate neighbors. You will feel better knowing they know your vehicle, and they will feel better about the stranger (you) who frequently visits their neighborhood.
- Prepare a scenario so that you can leave, or encourage someone who makes you uncomfortable to leave. Examples: Your cell phone or beeper went off and you have to call your office, you left some important information in your car, or another agent with buyers is on his way.
- While showing a property, always leave the front door unlocked for a quick exit while you and the client are inside. As you enter each room, stand near the door.
- It is better to not display purses while at a property. Lock your purse in the car trunk before you arrive. Carry only non-valuable business items (except for your cell phone), and do not wear expensive jewelry or watches, or appear to be carrying large sums of money.
- Park at the curb in front of the property rather than in the driveway. You will attract much more attention running and screaming to the curb area. It is much easier to escape in your vehicle if you don't have to back out of a driveway. Besides, parked in a driveway, another vehicle could purposefully or accidentally trap you.