Lubbock area home sales remain unchanged, prices rise in March 2016
April 20, 2016 – Lubbock area home sales remained flat in March compared to the same month last year while home prices increased, according to the March 2016 Lubbock Area Housing Market Report released today by the Lubbock Association of REALTORS®.
According to the report, 343 homes were sold in Lubbock in March 2016, unchanged from the year prior. The median price for Lubbock area homes increased 9 percent year-over-year to $147,500 during the same time frame.
Charlie Kearney, 2016 President of the Lubbock Association of REALTORS®, said, “home sales continue to be strong, and with the lack of inventory available, now could be one of the best times ever to move up in home. Especially in the $100 – 175,000 price range. That price range is in very high demand.”
Lubbock’s monthly housing inventory* was 2.1 months in March 2016, 0.6 months less than the year prior. The Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University cites that 6.5 months of inventory represents a market in which supply and demand for homes is balanced.
Homes spent an average of 54 days on the market in March 2016, one day more than March 2015. Additionally, active listings decreased 22 percent to 646 listings during the same time frame.
March 2016 Statistics At-A-Glance
- 343 – Homes sold in March 2016, unchanged from March 2015.
- $147,500 – Median price in March 2016, 9 percent more than March 2015.
- 2.1 – Monthly housing inventory in March 2016, 0.6 months less than March 2015.
- 54 – Average number of days homes spent on the market in March 2016, one day more than March 2015.
- 646 – Active home listings on the market in March 2016, 22 percent less than March 2015.
- 2016 March Infographic
With a growing economy, booming population and high quality of life, Lubbock is a great place to live, work and do business. As such, the demand for Lubbock real estate remains strong and enduring. Lubbock REALTORS®, along with REALTORS® throughout Texas, work daily to protect the rights of private-property owners, keep homeownership affordable, and promote public policies that benefit homeowners.
About the Lubbock Association of REALTORS®
The Lubbock Association of REALTORS® is committed to serving the Lubbock area by promoting REALTOR® integrity while advocating for private property rights and ownership.
* The inventory of homes for a market can be measured in months, which is defined as the number of active listings divided by the average sales per month of the prior 12 months. This report covers the Lubbock Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) of Lubbock, Crosby and Lynn Counties. Information is based on information from the LAR's multiple listing service (MLS).
The search requires you to enter at least 2 criteria to search for properties, or you can search by listing (MLS) number if you have it. Acceptable combinations are:
- Property Type & Zone
- Property Type & Sub Zone
- Property Type and City
- Property Type & Zip Code
- Property Type & Price (most commonly used search)
- Street Number or Street Name - be sure to indicate if it is the "exact" name or "begins with" that.
- Listing (MLS) Number